Sunday, May 10, 2020

In My Father's House


There are many bad things about this pandemic – the fact that I am here without you, crowning Mary by myself = but the worst thing – so many cannot be with their loved ones in the hospital or nursing home. A couple of days ago I had a drive by blessing for man who died of COVID-19 and for his family – they had not seen their loved one in four weeks. If that happened to me, I think my heart would break in a million pieces.

So, I know that I was very blessed to be at the bedsides of both my mother and father. It was not easy, but I am glad I could be there.

My mother was home with hospice for her last weeks.
As time went on, she was more and more confused.
She began to say – “I want to go home!”
I would say – “Mom, you are home – 33 Highland Ave.”
She would give me a look each time – are you crazy? This is not home!
As I prayed about it, what she said began to take on another meaning.
No, this is not home, not like this – I want to be at peace, not suffer any more, be with God – that home. I want to go home.

At the Last Supper, as He was preparing His disciples for His death, He spoke about that home. He said: “In my Father’s house – many dwelling places – otherwise, how could I tell you I prepare a place for you – I indeed go to prepare a place for you, and then I will come back to take you with me – where I am you also may be.”

My Father’s house – heaven – we think of it as a location – but so much more – a relationship – love of Father for the Son – the Son for the Father – a place of love.

I know that home can be a challenging place right now. I see that Kim Kardashian and Kanye West are so sick of one another they are living at opposite ends of the house.
But to the degree that we love – remember now – love is willing the good of the other - God is there, heaven is there. All the way to heaven is heaven said Dorothy Day

How do we get there - asks Thomas – how can we know the way?

Jesus – I am - I am – words spoken to Moses at the burning bush – I AM one with the Father - the way   - the truth & the life – follow me – this is the way to love. He is the Way that leads to the Father’s House.

Without the way – there is no going     without the truth – there is no knowing     without the life – there is no living.

A story is told of a group of men serving in Normandy during WW2 - saw signs with street names – lets turn them around – changed directions – seemed funny at the time.
Later they felt guilty – how many did they lead astray -   not just that day, but in their lives. They pointed the wrong way.

Remember I was in Ireland asking for directions – Right at light – left – right. Sometimes I guess I looked so confused they would say – just follow me – I will show you the way. Show them the way – by how you live your faith – by your love.

Mom said - I want to go home –
But in one sense she was already there! – a woman who lived the Way – who showed ME the way!

Because the Lord was always:  her way – truth – life!