Friday, May 22, 2020

Father Connolly Back at St. Columba Rectory


Dear Parishioners,
As you know, for the past weeks I have been living in isolation to be available to the sick and the dying during this Covid-19 pandemic. This has been an edifying experience for many reasons. Firstly, I was able to speak with and offer God’s consolation to several people who are suffering during this time. I also learned a valuable lesson, namely, that we, the Church, have quite a bit of work ahead of us regarding evangelization and promotion of the sacraments. Of course, our beloved medical professionals have wanted to keep everyone as safe as possible since the beginning of this pandemic. As a result, only those who are considered essential have access to Covid-19 units in hospitals. Unfortunately, the Church has not been considered, across the board, as ‘essential’ at this time. Despite many efforts to gain access to Covid-19 units where I might bring the Anointing of the Sick to Catholic patients in need of this Sacrament, access was often denied. While this primarily speaks to the concern of our health professionals for the safety of priests and other visitors, it also reveals a lack of understanding of just how important the Sacraments are. As a result of the lack of access to hospitals as well as the anticipation of the ‘re-opening’ of the liturgical life of the parishes of the Archdiocese of New York, Father Michael and I have decided that it would be best if I return to St. Columba at this time. However, I urge you, whenever you or someone you love needs the Sacrament of the Anointing of the Sick, please do not hesitate to call! Your priests are happy to answer the call to bring you Christ’s healing touch in the sacraments! Given current restrictions, this should take place before entering the hospital. I look forward to seeing you all as soon as possible! Be assured of my prayers and please pray for me!
In Christ,
Father Connolly