Tuesday, October 25, 2016
Father Michael will celebrate his Thirty-Fifth Anniversary of Ordination to the Priesthood on Monday, October 31. He will gather with his Ordination Class on Thursday, October 27 at Epiphany Church in NYC for Mass and a private dinner with classmates. Please pray for the Ordination Class of 1981 from St. Joseph's Seminary, Dunwoodie and for more Vocations to the Priesthood.
Sunday, October 23, 2016
He looked like a red rose between two thorns!
There was Cardinal Dolan at the Al Smith Dinner seated between Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton.
He was asked – what was it like? They did try before the dinner to be courteous to one another. But during the dinner . . .
In the past – self depreciating humor – make fun of yourself – a humble humor – but now: at the expense of the other. Not humility but humiliation.
Thinking of Odell Beckham, star receiver of the Giants. Last week he scored a touchdown, waved his teammates away & took off his helmet – hey, look at me! Forgetting that Eli threw the pass and his other teammates blocked for him.
Two people went to the temple to pray:
1) Pharisee - by and large: good and holy people “the separated ones” not priests, but lay people – must strictly observe the laws
- fasted 2 x week - 10% income to God - prayed 4 x a day pretty good.
2) Tax collector – the publican most considered him a traitor – he worked for a foreign government (Romans) earned his pay by over taxation ritually unclean should not have even been there - O God, be merciful to me, a sinner!
Shocked – tax collector justified by God - why?
1) Pharisee prayer - did not even need God – all about himself I I I Humility from the Latin word – humus – earth. God created Adam from the earth. God created us! All I am is a gift from God. Humility.
2) All about comparisons - compared to others like this tax collector grew up comparing, still do it! Mom, Dad!!! Maureen got a bigger slice!!!
What tax collector did was compare himself to God!
Reconciliation - cilia – eyelash eyelash to eyelash w God & who will win???!!!
St. Augustine: What are the ways to God? “The first is humility, the 2nd is humility, the third is humility”
St Therese “Beginning of holiness is humbly admitting that without God, I can do nothing, but - that with in and through him, everything is possible.
St. Mother Teresa to experience JOY
Jesus Others You.
O God, be merciful to me, a sinner!!!
Saturday, October 22, 2016
Sunday, October 16, 2016
To Persist – she kept after the judge, Moses kept holding up hands in prayer. Made me think of a parishioner of St. Stephen’s Warwick – Dolores Murphy & her brother – Stephen McDonald. Through Dolores I met this amazing man.
Thirty years ago, while on patrol in Central Park, the then Officer McDonald was shot three times –head – throat and spine. He is paralyzed from the neck down. At the time, he and his wife Patti were married only 8 months and she was carrying her soon to be son Conor – who is now a 4th generation Police Officer. Stephen was in the hospital for months. Every day was a struggle to live.
Card O’Connor once described them: “They are ordinary New Yorkers . . . but they are extraordinary, too, imbued with the spirit of forgiveness, faith and fidelity to each other beyond earthly measure . . . their conscious effort to conquer death and hatred with a spirit of life and love ennobles them.
Forgiveness – Go 2 ways: hate or love: “I forgive the boy who shot me, and I hope he can find peace and purpose in his life.”
Fidelity – She never thought to go back on her yes – “we did not get married to be divorced”
Faith – Stephen speaks to many young people and he encourages them “to grow in relationship with God and our Blessed Mother. Life is important and has meaning. You are a special and rare creation of God with enormous value. God creates you for a purpose!”
Relationship with God . . . Friendship with God
1) Spend time – intentional, even put on schedule
2) Learning – what to know as much as possible about the other person – Bible & saints
3) Honesty – let self be known to the other – share everything with God, not just what we think God wants to hear. Even anger, disappointments, sadness
4) Listening – create a space for the other to be heard. Listen to physical signs, other people, scripture, emotions, memories, daily life connects with:
5) Silence – Mom & Dad would sit in room - not say a word – intimacy. Electronic: disconnect to connect.
6) Changes – Relationship with God can and should change over time.
Stephen said last July: I am not here by accident. There is a purpose and plan to my life. God has been involved in this story from beginning to end. So persist, be strong, do not be afraid!