Monday, November 26, 2018

Christ The King


George Orwell  -Animal Farm & 1984 -  “I thought of a rather cruel trick I once played on a wasp. He was sucking jam on my plate, and I cut him in half. He paid no attention, merely went on with his meal, while a tiny stream of jam trickled out of his severed esophagus. Only when he tried to fly away did he grasp the dreadful thing that had happened to him. It is the same with modern man. The thing that has been cut away is his soul, and there was a period - during which he did not notice it."

A man who lost his soul.
Pontius Pilate – 5th Roman Governor of Judea.  Appointed by Tiberius to serve from 26 to 36.
His job - Keep law & order and send taxes to Rome.

Along comes this Jesus – whom some are calling the king of the Jews.
In time he realizes he is no threat to Rome – after all, he said - my kingdom is not of this world.
But he is torn. What to do with this man?
One hand – wife had a dream – have nothing to do with this innocent man.
Other – what was politically correct thing to do, to keep the peace?

1)      He washes his hands. How often have we done that – should have said something, done something, but did nothing?  Should have spoken – did not
A German theologian, Martin Niemoller, reflected on what happened in WWII:
 They came for the Jews, but I was not a Jew, so I did not object
Then they came for the trade unionists, but I was not a trade unionist so I did not object.
Then they came for the Poles, but I was not a Pole, so I did not object.
Then they came for me. And there was no one left to object.

2)      Sent Jesus to his death to satisfy constituents.  What was politically correct?
Politician – I am personally opposed but  .   the polls say.
No longer interested in the truth.

Famous – Man for all Seasons
St. Thomas More vs. King Henry VIII
Henry – How is it you cannot see. Everyone else does.
More – They why does thy grace need my poor support.
Henry – Because you are honest. What’s more to the purpose, you’re known to be honest . . . there are those like Norfolk who follow me because I wear a crown, and there are those like Master Cromwell who follow me because they are jackals with sharp teeth and I am their lion, and there is a mass that follows me because it follows anything that moves – and there is you.

In the last moments of his life – he uttered those famous words – I am the good king’s servant – but God’s first!
What profit to gain whole world and lose soul.
All kingdoms have come and gone.
One kingdom has lasted forever.  Our King and Our Lord, Jesus Christ