Friday, January 1, 2016

The Holy Name

President Bush (43) was once visiting a nursing home. A resident was giving him a good looking over. The President spoke to him “Do you know who I am?”  Resident replied – “No, but if you speak to those nurses over there, I am sure they can help you!”
We like when we are called by name. We also can get annoyed when someone gets our name wrong. That’s why before every single baptism, wedding or funeral that I do, I write down the names. Because, even if I know the person, sometimes I draw a blank.   Why is that? Maybe because I am about to get another year older?!
Scripture readings today talk about names:
1)     First reading from the Book of Numbers says “Bless the people in the Name of God.”  Moses spoke to God – who should I tell them is sending me???   I Am Who Am – Yahweh.  Such an awesome name it is not pronounced.  When it is written, the vowels are left out. Commandment – Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain.”
2)     Paul to the Galatians – as children of God, we can also call Him by another name “Abba.:  Jesus said, when you are to pray, say  “Abba”     Daddy.   An intimate word. Points to a relationship. God is awesome and all powerful, and He is also Our Father!
3)     3) Eight days after his birth, Jesus is presented in the Temple by his parents. They are asked to name him. His name in Hebrew is Yeshua, a form of Joshua  -  Means: Yahweh saves!   Paul writes that this is the Name above every other name.  At His name every knee should bend and every tongue declare that Jesus Christ is Lord. 
A baptism – the first question parents are asked  -  What name have you given your child? 
A name in society suggests a contract
Society recognizes that this individual exists and has responsibilities toward that child.
A name a baptism suggests not just a contract but a covenant =   this is a child of God, entrusted to this family to be cared for!!
A child of God! If only we could understood this, it changes everything!!!! 

Someone may ask us: Do you know my name?  Our answer could be: I may not but God does. But I know this : you are a child of God!!!