Sunday, December 13, 2015

Prepare The Way of the Lord!

Doing Christmas shopping – saw Santa, Frosty & Baby Jesus – no JB
On the way to Bethlehem – we must cross the Jordan River.
This is where we meet that unusual figure – John the Baptist
Some consider him the last and greatest of the OT prophets.
Jesus took him very seriously “among those born of women none greater than JB”
Church celebrates 3 birthdays
-          Jesus – Dec 25           Mary – Sept 8      JB – June 24

He spent a great deal of time in desert – no distractions – listening to God.
Here is fruit of his desert time:

1)      Teaches about Humility
“I am not worthy to untie his sandals” & “he must increase and I must decrease.”
Humility – this is not putting oneself down.
Realize – in certain areas of life – things happen that I cannot control  -  Talk with nephew Kevin – you are praying for my Mom, right? Treatments will help & I will be with her next Friday – but you are praying, right?     I Need a Savior.   I need Eucharist  -  I need prayer  -   I need God!

2)      Teaches about Repentance
Elf on the shelf – a scout sent by Santa from the North Pole – helps Santa manage his naughty and nice list -  family adopts – goes to NP each night to make his report about what you were doing.
A tough one – I would not stand a chance  -  see: Baptist knows I will sin, but I also need a place to go so I can be forgiven!
Nothing like a good confession!!!  Reconciliation Monday. Monday 4-8

3) Teaches about Integrity
He was a person of principle & conviction – told the truth with love
Soldiers – nonbelievers – do not practice extortion, do not accuse anyone falsely.
Tax collectors - believers but not practicing – stop collecting more than prescribed
Faithful ones – whoever has 2 cloaks should share with the person who has none. Whoever has food should do likewise.
Walk the walk -   be the same person at church, in school, at home & work.

On our way to Bethlehem – need to stop at the Jordan River.
John will be waiting for us
To teach us about humility -  repentance  -  integrity.

To help us prepare the way for the Lord.