Sunday, April 26, 2015

Good Shepherd Sunday

Growing up – listened to a victrola  - played records at 78.
Vinyl – needle  -  out this big horn.
I am old   you don’t think so.

Bit of history – 1898  British artist Francis Barraud painted a little white dog listening to a horn – part of an invention called a gramophone
Victor Talking Machine Co chose the painting as its trademark.

In 1929 – they were brought out by RCA -  became RCA Victor  -  so gramophone became a Victrola – and the painting of the little dog became famous!

Title of painting  “His Master’s Voice”
So many voices -  so hard to hear the Good Shepherd’s Voice!
Hear his voice!

Mother Teresa was visiting the United Nations
Approached by a diplomat
I am not a Catholic, but I ask you, Mother, how should I pray?
She grabbed hold of one of his hands and spread out his five fingers

When you pray, think of the blessings that you have received.
Then, at the end of the day count out these words on your five fingers:
“You did this for me.”    Then listen . . .
He held up his hand and repeated – “you did this for me.”

Often the Voice of the Shepherd is a call – follow me  - what return can I make for all the Lord has done for me?      World Day of Prayer for Vocations

In May and June 595 to be ordained priests for the USA – up 100
Average age  34
1/4 born outside the US
51% - Catholic school
78% altar servers
61% had full time jobs before they entered the seminary
Most encouraged by – in this order:  Priest, Parishioner, Friend, Mother, Father
About 50%  were told not to follow this path by family, friends or people they went to school with.

I am often asked – why?  A great way to spend life – feel you make a difference every day – close to God and meet many great people!!! Wouldn’t it be wonderful to have another vocation from St. Columba?!!!


Hear my voice!!!    Listen!!!!       Follow me!!!