Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Homily Notes - June 9

The Widow of Nain

Christ said, ‘Weep Not,’ but still she went on weeping
The mother thus, how will the son obey?
‘Young Man, arise;’ lo! From the bier up-leaping,
The Dead proved quicker than the quick that day

Talked to dad Saturday. Third week in hospital.
Dream – back home in Ireland – up on the mountainside
Picking & eating blueberries.
Sad – will never go home again, never climb a mountain.
But has experienced a change in the last few weeks.
Finally let go.

Msgr. Desmond left gift in my room - Serenity Prayer
God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change
Courage to change the things I can
And he wisdom to know the difference.

1) Accept the things I cannot change
Cannot deny reality – her son is dead
“Everything will be OK” no, it is not OK
Who can guarantee that anyway?
“Live in a world of broken hearts.”

2) Courage to change the things I can
What are the alternatives – what I can change – great fear to change.
Robbins Reef Lighthouse near entrance to NY Harbor
Capt John Walker & Kate Walker – their 1st lighthouse was on land.
This one on the reef – I’m not unpacking! But they did settle in.
After a few years, John took sick & died 1886 – buried on hillside across from lighthouse.
What was she to do now? “Katie - Tend the light!” stayed until 1919.
Saved dozens of lives – accepted and changed.

3) Wisdom to know difference.
Wisdom - not alone – amazed at compassion of Jesus
No one asked him for help - It all begins and ends with me!
God is for us, not against us.

Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
Taking, as He did, this sinful world
as it is, not as I would have it;
Trusting that He will make all things right
if I surrender to His Will;
That I may be reasonably happy in this life
and supremely happy with Him
Forever in the next.
Amen.