Sunday, June 23, 2013

Homily Notes - 12th Sunday in Ord Time

She was not happy.

Stopped at a red light – turned green – and he is not moving.
He’s talking on his cell phone!
Starts honking – yelling – even using bad words!
Finally – he wakes up and starts moving – just as the light turned yellow.
She finally begins to move forward when she sees red light – what did I do???
License & registration please. Comes back, “I just had to check.”
I saw you carrying on – then a saw your bumper stickers - I worship at St. Joseph’s & What would Jesus do? It didn’t add up & I thought: this must be a stolen car!

Who do people say that I am - like the gossip on all the entertainment channel – just keep repeating – costs me nothing & I look like I know something!

Who do YOU say that I am – different Q - personal
Everything we say and do is an answer to this question.
Every decision and choice tells others what we really believe.

Not an easy path – take up your cross
Jesus has many admirers but not as many followers.

We all have crosses: different ones at different stages of life - grass is not always greener - thank God for the life you do have!
- physical - illness, diseases
- spiritual – inner wounds 1/3 women domestic violence at some point
- psychological - that child that cannot seem to put it together.

Different reactions to crosses

1) I don’t want it: feel free to ask Jesus to take it away. Or get help-Simon of Cyrene helped Jesus to carry his. But understand, great mystery – not always taken away – let this cup pass, not my will but your will be done.

2) Avoid it - can’t deal with it – ignore it – let another member of the family deal with the sick parent or begin to self medicate: alcohol or drugs. Understand.

3) Carry it : it needs to be done and I am meant to do it. - Sometimes have good intention and try to do it out of own strength but this can end up “pity party” poor me! - Rather, seek the strength of God – look for God’s health – begin to surrender “let go and let God” Begin to move beyond own sufferings: moved to compassion for others.

Accept cross – not because it is good and not because I like it
But, my call at this time in my life - will allow me to draw closer to God and to one another

Msgr. Paul’s Cross
- “Why should you want anything else, I never did!”
- “This is where you learn everything!”