Monday, May 27, 2019

Memorial Day 2019 - Mass at St. Denis Cemetery


Initially, the hope and desire was – stay out of it. This is Europe’s problem. We have enough problems back home. But each time, World War I – World War  II, it became clear – America was needed – the free world depended upon us.
So off went our men and women to serve, fight, and many to die.
After WWI, General Pershing urged the creation of cemeteries overseas – to be cared for by our own government. And so, there are 26 American Military cemeteries throughout the world.
Plaque at Normandy – General Mark Clark
“If any proof was needed that we fought for a cause and not for conquest, it could be found in these cemeteries. Here was our only conquest. All we asked for was enough soil in which to bury our gallant dead.”
They range from Florence Italy 4,402
-         Luxembourg – 5,076
-         Sicily – 7.861
-         Netherlands 9,387
-         Largest in Manila 16,636
Ten in France
-         Largest Meuse – Argonne – 14,246
Most famous Normandy – 9,387
Site of D-Day – This June 6 marks the 75th Anniversary of the Invasion of France – the largest seaborn invasion in history. Majority – UK, Canada and Us – but many other countries as well.
I remember watching Saving Private Ryan – which includes what many believe to be the most accurate portrayal of the landing. An absolute horror.
I remember seeing Ryan collapse as he approached the grave of the man who gave his life for him. No greater love then to lay down one’s life for one’s friend.
I said to myself – I must go one day – and I did.
Normandy is a gorgeous part of France – and American flags can be seen all over – they have not forgotten.
We climbed up to Pointe du Hoc – where the Rangers were ordered to scale 100-foot cliffs.
We walked on the beaches – at first, we were in shock – people were walking, swimming and bathing? But of course – that’s why we helped to set them free.
Then – Cemetery – gorgeous piece of land right above the landing beaches - 9,387 only a small part of the toll – you begin to walk - and then you begin to understand the sacrifice – for the people of France and for the entire free world. They gave their lives that we may be free. You cannot help but walk away changed.
Right before Captain Miller died – he whispered in the ear of Private Ryan 2 words – Earn this!
Understand the sacrifice that was made. Made by them – made for us. Earn this – How can we possibly earn this? It was a pure act of love – who can measure up to that? We are not worthy!
It gives me an even deeper appreciation for the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass – Christ gave his life – for each of us – to break the power of sin – and grant us the hope of eternal life. How can we possibly earn that?
But we must try.
After quietly reflecting at the tomb of Capt. Miller – Ryan speaks – every day I think about what you said to me on that bridge. I tried to live my life the best that I could. I hope that was enough. I hope I have earned what you have done for me.  
He salutes.
His wife approaches – he speaks again – tell me I’ve led a good life. Tell me I’m a good man. She looks at the grave – then looks at her husband – you are.
That’s why we have Memorial Day every year – never forget – accept challenge to live a good life, a moral life, the best life possible – to honor them and to honor always the Sacrifice of Jesus for our salvation. Do this in memory of Me!