Sunday, October 14, 2018

What Must I Do To Inherit Eternal Life?


Michael Buble has announced he is quitting the music industry. His son’s cancer battle has given him a new perspective on life. “How stupid I’ve been to worry about these unimportant things. I was embarrassed by my ego.”  “I will never read a review again and never use social media again.” Wow. You wonder if something similar happened to this man who ran up to Jesus: – good teacher, what must I do to inherit eternal life? What a question! He is asking a very important question – a serious question. He is really thinking about the important things in life!!!

Jesus said - how about the commandments? Teacher, all of these I have observed from my youth. For this we can thank his family and especially his parents.

I’m sure his parents did not begin with reciting the commandments – but rather, teaching him Virtues.

Virtues: Inner and consistent disposition toward the good.
And how do we develop Virtues – habits!

Example:
My dad loved baseball, and he wanted me to enjoy it too. He brought me a mitt and a ball, and we would play catch. Then, to a baseball field – a gorgeous field. Here’s a bat – let me show you how to hit. And he would pitch and pitch to me.   Now, you have to learn how to field.    After all that – now here is how you play the game. . . rules

I learned – I could not play any way I wanted.  Had to really learn to hit, field and throw.  And I had to work at it. Lots of practice. It became a habit.

Just as with life. My parents wanted me to love God, to live rightly, to seek the good.   To respect others, to speak correctly, to be willing to help as needed. And I had to practice these virtues. In time, they became habits. It helped that they tried to live them, and they pointed me to good examples, especially the saints.

Young man – I have kept all these commandments since my youth – Jesus looked upon him with love – could see his potential – the possibilities for his future.

One more thing – let go of all these material things. They are becoming your focus. You are forgetting about what is most important.

Part of the process is accepting correction. Listening to Aaron Boone, Yankee manager. He went through a list of ways his team needs to do to improve. Can they accept correction? Are they willing to change?  

This, of course, is an important role of parents – to lovingly, yet firmly, correct children. No correction, no growth in children.

Sadly, the young man would not accept correction. And, he went away sad.

What about us? Are we asking the rights questions? What must I do to inherit eternal life? Am I on the right path? Do I have good habits? Am I developing bad habits. Do I need to change? Am I willing to change?  The answer could mean Eternal Life!