Wednesday, October 31, 2018

37th Anniversary of Ordination


Pastors get letters – some – not so good – others – wonderful. Here’s one:
Preface – we invited Father Tom Berg from Dunwoodie to speak to our parishioners about what has been happening in the church.

“I attended the talk with Father Berg the other night and while it was painful to hear about all that has happened in the church, I commend you and the parish council for providing a venue for people to vent their frustration and pain. 

At the very end, I raised my hand, not to ask a question but just to say that as horrible as all of this is, I’m still proud to be a Catholic.  Of course, I’m appalled by the scandals but I’m deliberately choosing to focus on the goodness of Christ that continues to manifest itself in the church and which has done so continuously for 2000 years!  I see that goodness daily in you, Father Connolly, Monsignor Thompson and the wonderful nuns that serve our parish, as well as in all who continue to come to church, my fellow parishioners. 

My prayer is that I can be a part of the solution rather than a part of the problem.  By praying for the Pope, praying for the Bishops, and praying for the healing of all victims, most especially those directly affected, but equally important to pray for those who have fallen away from the church because of this, those who are in the seminary, and for the good Priests like yourself who have remained faithful to their vows and yet at times have to suffer the cloud of suspicion surrounding all clergy.  Not by all but by some and I'm sorry for all good Priests that have to endure that. 

I guess it's a small thing but whenever I see a veteran, or a first responder, I thank them for their service, and the Lord has put it on my heart to say the same to Priests...Thank you for the gift and sacrifices of your Priesthood and for remaining faithful to your vows. “

I know that this is one of the reasons I remain a priest – the faith community – the support and love of so many people – how we journey together in the midst of all the brokenness – and all the baptisms, funerals, weddings, anointings, first communions, confirmations - because we have our eyes fixed on Jesus – who took it all, who continues to take it all upon himself.

I remain a priest because – when the towers were hit in NYC – and people were running out – the firefighters were running IN – despite all her brokenness I love the church because that is where Christ is.

I remain a priest – because someone must continue to proclaim the Good News of Jesus Christ. There seems to be so much hopelessness – never have I done more funerals from drug overdoses and suicides. Who will bring the light of Christ into a darkened world?

I remain a priest – because somehow, despite my own imperfections and sinfulness – Christ wants to use me to make himself present – This Is My Body, this is my blood.

I remain a priest – because there is nothing like the ability to say – I absolve you from your sins – your are really and truly forgiven. It is such a joy to extend God’s mercy.

I remain a priest – because I have been called – and I remember the words of my mother – you took a Sacrament. That God will give me all the grace I need.

Dominican Priest - Lacordaire

To live in the midst of the world
without wishing its pleasures;
To be a member of each family,
yet belonging to none;
To share all suffering;
to penetrate all secrets;
To heal all wounds;
to go from men to God
and offer Him their prayers;
To return from God to men
to bring pardon and hope;
To have a heart of fire for Charity,
and a heart of bronze for Chastity
To teach and to pardon,
console and bless always.
My God, what a life;
and it is yours,
O priest of Jesus Christ.

Thanks for coming to share this moment with my class as we celebrate 37 years of priesthood – pray for us!