Wednesday, May 30, 2018

Trinity Sunday


St. Augustine
Walking on beach – reflecting on God & Trinity
Saw boy making a lake in the sand – running back and forth to the sea.
What are you doing – I’m moving the sea” Can’t be done
And you think you can understand the mysteries of God?  But what we do know:

Throughout history -  humans had many gods:
Sun – moon – stars - trees – rocks – plants – animals – even Caesar
Even today:  everyone has a god – whether it  be: a person - money – power – success - material things -    even self

The great insight of the children of Israel - Abraham – there is one God  - Who said: You will be my people & I will be your God.

Moses – burning bush – I am who am . . . I Am

These are words used by Jesus to describe himself: I Am the Bread of Life -  I Am the Good Shepherd – I Am the True Vine, I Am the Light of the world – I Am the Way, the Truth & the Life –  I am the Resurrection   He was One with God – whom He called Abba - Father

Jesus said: I will send you the Advocate / the Holy Spirit
And when He comes -  you will go forth – the Great Commissioning
Baptize them   Father Son & Holy Spirit -  Trinity of persons, one God!

Here is a simple way to describe the Trinity – story told by Father Theophane, a Trappist Monk who was the brother of one of our priests, Father Boyd RIP.

Young man is speaking to a monk - Tell me what God is like.
Here, take this book. If you read it at the right hour, it will tell you what God is like.
He brought it back to share with his wife, who was carrying their first child. She said: What did he mean by the right hour?
Don’t know. Maybe on Good Friday, or after the Easter Vigil. Or maybe Pentecost. Maybe we should wait, and God will tell us. It could be years. Wait for a sign.

Two weeks later their first child was born.
He said: How can I explain how I felt?
I was worried – I was a dad. How will I do this?
I was filled with pride – I was a dad. You really grow up.
I was Humbled – we were involved in something so beyond us. Thought I had everything figured out. – not so!

That night, the child appeared in a dream – Asked: What is God like?
Woke up wife. This is it. Let’s open the book!

He opened it at random.
It’s very simple – God is a father.
Wife opened it – It’s very simple. God became a little child.
Let’s open it together. It’s very simple. Every breath you take is the breath of God.

Glory be . . .