Sunday, February 4, 2018

Super Bowl


172 Million watching  -   14 million calling in sick
Philadelphia vs New England – cheesesteaks vs chowdah.  No super bowl championships vs five. The backup quarterback vs one of the all-time greats.
Nick Foles is a great story. A good man. He revealed this week, that after football, he wants to be a youth Pastor. During the off season, he has been taking classes at seminary “I want to continue to learn and challenge my faith.”
For a time, he thought he was going to retire from football, but
“I kept reading scripture, I kept praying, I kept asking God — and so many of us ask God for signs, we ask God, ‘Hey, please just put it on the wall, like, I want to know,’ but that’s not how it works,” Foles said. “God’s not always going to do that. He was shaping me. He was bringing me down to my knees … At that moment, through that prayer, He said, ‘Hey, just take a step of faith.’
And then, there is Tom Brady, in many ways, an average player who made himself a great player, one of the best ever.
“What are you willing to do, and what are you willing to give up, to be the best you can be?” Brady asks. “You only have so much energy, and the clock’s ticking on all of us. And when you say yes to something, that means you got to say no to something else. In the end, my life focused around football. It always has been and always will be, as long as I’m playing. I’ve given my body, my everything, every bit of energy for eighteen years to it. So, if you’re going to compete against me, you better be willing to give up your life. Because I’m giving up mine.”
I’m sure a lot of professional athletes share this mentality. But what makes Tom Brady different is that he’s allowed this interior drive to transform every aspect of his life – diet, exercise, everything.
For him, mediocrity is a waste of time. He’s not content just to win more than he loses. He doesn’t want to be in the middle of the pack. He wants to be the best of the best, and he sacrifices every shred of his being to reach that goal. At 40, he knows the clock is ticking, but rather than coast into an already high place in football history, he doubles and triples his efforts to get even higher.
Sounds like St. Paul – I am obliged to preach the Gospel – a slave to all so as to win over as many possible!  Everything he can!
Here’s the thing – willing to do it for a super bowl trophy – what about eternal life? What about the state and destiny of our souls? 
In 10 days Lent - With Lent coming why not more – more than just giving up chocolate or saying an extra prayer or 2  - make it truly a time for spiritual growth!