Saturday, November 26, 2016

Thanksgiving

(Father Michael preached this homily at the First Annual Ecumenical Thanksgiving Service of Hopewell Junction at the Hopewell Reformed Church)

Sarah Jane Cunningham knew her Facebook posts about the election rubbed her family the wrong way, but did not realize it would get her uninvited to the family Thanksgiving dinner.
The 19 year old received a call from her mother a week ago. She was asked - are you going to be disrespectful to her family? She said it could work either way. “If what I say is disrespectful, it is likely they will also be disrespectful to me.”   So, she was uninvited to the family gathering in Maine! A few hours later, her mother called back, but it was too late. Sarah plans to spend the day with her 2 cats in Boston.
It is one of our great problems today. We cannot respectfully disagree!!!  We can’t even seem to talk.
So many Dividers! – love to attack, to tear, they refuse to listen. The only person who is right is me!
But to be a Unifier -requires much more strength, patience, to try to understand, to listen, to enter into the experience of the other, debate respectfully, logically  – and even when we disagree, to love.
Pope Francis recently traveled to Lund, Sweden for a Commemoration of the 500th Anniversary of the Reformation. He saw it as an opportunity to take a step closer, to listen to one another, to talk!  There are many differences between us, but there is also so much in common, most especially our love for Jesus Christ.  And, there are so many areas where Christians can work together, especially to support our brothers and sisters persecuted for their faith in Jesus.
So, I was delighted, when I arrived in Hopewell Junction now 2 ½ years ago, that some local pastors were meeting informally each month for lunch and just to talk. They welcomed me, and I found them to be a fine, dedicated faithful group, and I am happy that we decided to celebrate Thanksgiving together.
Thanksgiving!
Sara, who is 2, is always busy.  Momma, I want a banana.  She gets it and starts to run away.  Sara, stop – what are the magic words?   Please, Thank You, You’re Welcome, God bless  you,  I love you mommy!
To say thank you – it has to be learned!
When we come into the world – it’s about what I want: hold me, feed me, change me, rock me, sing to me RIGHT NOW!
It is a sign of maturity to say – Thank You!
Thanksgiving – from the Latin = gratiae   which is the plural of gratia – grace    Thanksgiving – an overflowing of grace!
1)     Thanks – For the very gift of life – all is gift!!! 

Inventory -dads store – we have to take inventory – what does that mean?  Make a list of everything that you have – easy to forget what you have. Count the things I have in life!

As pastors, we am so grateful for you and having the opportunity to serve!


2)     Giving - Leads us to acts of mercy towards God’s Children!!!
A 4th grader religion teacher asked her students to notice acts of mercy toward others:
“My dad was in a hurry to get to grandma’s. The woman in front of us stopped her car right in the middle of the road and everyone was honking and driving around her but my dad stopped to see if she needed help. She has a flat tire and had no idea what to do, so my dad changed the tire for her. She was really happy and I was really proud of my dad!”
“I invited this kid to my birthday party, even though he did not invite me to his party. And now we are friends!”
“Almost every night my brother is So annoying. He just won’t start talking right when I am trying to go to sleep. He’ll be popping me with his pillow, turning the light on and off, and usually I just freak out and start yelling at him. But last night I didn’t. I showed him mercy and just ignored him!”
“I wanted some popcorn in the cafeteria. I got up to the counter the same time as another kid. There was only one bag left. The boy said – I forgot my lunch and I only have enough money for a bag of popcorn – so I said – go ahead, you have the popcorn and I’ll have something else. And he said thank you!”
“My mon says we should never throw out good clothes or shoes because others could wear them. So we bring them when the church is collecting them. And we also bring school supplies each September. It was nice to help others!”
Thanks – Giving!

First National Thanksgiving Proclamation

Whereas, it is the duty of all nations to acknowledge the providence of Almighty God, to obey His will, to be grateful for His benefits, and humbly to implore His protection and favor; Whereas, both the houses of Congress have, by their joint committee, requested me
 "to recommend to the people of the United States a day of public thanksgiving and prayer, to be observed by acknowledging with grateful hearts the many and signal favors of Almighty God, especially by affording them an opportunity peaceably to establish a form of government for their safety and happiness!"

Now therefore, I do recommend next, to be devoted by the people of the states to the service of that great and glorious being, who is the beneficent Author of all the good that was, that is, or that will be, that we may then all unite in rendering unto Him our sincere and humble thanks for His kind care and protection of the people of this country.


George Washington, 1779.