Monday, April 11, 2016

St. Peter

Two churches come to my mind today –
1st is on the shore of the Sea of Galilee – has a Rock inside called Mensa Christi – Table of Christ – where Jesus served that 1st Breakfast
2nd – in Rome – great Basilica built over the Tomb of Peter
Amazing  – had come so far from Galilee!  How did he get there?

Peter:  Given name was Simon – called Petra – Rock, but also Scandalon – Stumbling Stone
-       Leave me Lord, I am a sinful man – From now on catching people.
-       Jesus walking across the water – Peter says if you wish, I could do it to – come! – walks but begins to sink – took his eyes off Jesus
-       Who do people say I am – Whom do YOU say I am – You are the Christ!

But now things have changed – Crucifixion, then an empty Tomb - they were told to go to Galilee – there they would see him.

There were 7 apostles there that day -  Peter says: I am going fishing
Strange - back to old ways – of course they caught nothing - without Christ!

Dawn had come – they hear a voice: Children - still spiritual children - have you caught anything to eat?
Cast your net on the right side - do it his way - net full to the breaking point
153 fish - symbol of every species - from all nations

John - it is the Lord!
Peter - has no clothes on – strangely puts on clothes to jump in water
Adam - put on clothes after he sinned

Charcoal fire - last time - Peter denied him 3 times.
Come have breakfast - loaves & fish - Eucharist

Some unfinished business:
Simon son of John do you love me?   Agape – self giving
Unwilling to say - I love you - you know that I love you  -  Philia – friendship   Feed lambs!
Once again – do you love me – agape?
You know that I love you – philia    Tend sheep!
Do you love me – philia
You know everything – you know well that I love you – philia   Feed sheep!

From Galilee to Rome?
All has to do with Mercy – Peter committed a grave sin and denied Jesus.  Three times denied now three times forgiven!
Despite his failures, Peter was the first to visit empty tomb – first to preach Resurrection – first Pope – and on the Vatican hill he was crucified upside down – and the greatest church in the world was built on that spot

Like Peter, we are all sinners – we are imperfect – we commit same sins over and over again – we do not always trust – we struggle with faith


And yet - If Jesus could do all that with him – he can do it for us!  And so, He says to each of us – FOLLOW ME!