Sunday, April 3, 2016

Divine Mercy

Pope Francis call this the Year of Mercy.
What is mercy?
In simplest terms – God made us out of love! He loved us into being.
But, human beings always seem to turn away – this is called sin.
God calls us back into relationship – this is called mercy.

Pope Francis likes to use 2 great examples:
-          Righteous man stand in front of temple – look at me, I fast, tithe, thank God I’m not like that tax collector -   O God, have mercy on me a sinner.
-          Woman caught in act of adultery  - let the one among you without sin be the first to cast a stone at her.
Two extremes:
-          So sure I am always so holy, good and right – I have no need of mercy
-          I have done so many bad things, I cannot possibly be forgiven,

Today is called Divine Mercy Sunday. Began by John Paul II.
Our Lord Rose from the tomb, and He met many people who had treated him badly.
The apostles and disciples had run away and left him.     Peter denied him.
The only ones at the cross were his mother, the holy women & John.
But instead of condemning them, he was merciful.
Remember – Father, forgive them.
Or – to the thief on the cross  -  Today you will be with me in paradise . . .

In 2000, JP II canonized St. Faustina – her relics are coming here next Sunday.  She has furthered our understanding of Divine Mercy.
She wrote that  - even at the moment of death - God extends his hand in mercy
Christ calls all souls at the moment of death and offers the grace of conversion.
They are, of course free to receive it or reject it.
This gives so many of us great hope when our relatives and friends leave this life unprepared..

We see the beautiful image of Divine Mercy - really an alternate image of the Sacred Heart
Flowing from heart - rays.
Remember soldier took lance and pierced Jesus heart - out flowed blood and water.
Red = blood = Eucharist
White = water = baptism
Loving heart of Savior calls - come for forgiveness, healing & salvation

ABC’s
1) Ask for mercy
Whose sins you forgive and forgiven them
St. Faustina was told:
- when you approach confession. Know that I myself am waiting there for you.
- I am only hidden by the priest, but I myself act in your soul
- Here the misery of the soul meets the mercy of God

2) Be merciful
Corporal & Spiritual Works of Mercy.

3) Completely trust in Jesus!

He has broken power of death - wants us to be with him forever.  It is all about mercy!!!