Sunday, February 7, 2016

Humility

A man names Bob was promoted Vice President of his company. Really went to his head. For weeks he was telling everyone. Finally his wife said – hey, it’s no big deal. These days everyone is vice president of something. They even have a vice president of peas at ACME. So Bob calls ACME – Let me speak to the Vice President of Peas?  Reply – fresh or frozen.    A lesson in humility!

Today we meet three people in Bible who received lessons in humility.
Isaiah – great vision of God  - Woe is me, I am lost . . .
Paul – last of all he appeared to me. For I am the least of the apostles, unfit to be called an apostle.
Peter – Leave me Lord, I am a sinful man.
All three – humbled in the sight of the Lord.

Humility is an important virtue in the Bible.
The opposite of humility –is Pride - one of the 7 deadly sins.
Pride can lead to:
Vanity – depending on the approval of others. Most fragile form of pride.
Conceit – put down others to raise up self.  Always comparing
Arrogance – I am better than others

1) Humility is not low self esteem   - if you have a poor self image, think you are not as good as other people, cannot look others in the eye, will not stand up for your rights  - this is not humility
God wants us to have a healthy respect for self – as well as others.  We are sons and daughters of God!

2) Humility has to do with how we view ourselves in relationship to God.
Electricity comes to town  -  1st family wired house for lights -  invited friends  over.
Moment came – turned on the light – wow – oh no. Every cobweb, every crack showed up.    In light of God   -   wow.
Amazing thing = despite all the cracks and imperfections – we are loved by God!

3) So then - What return can I make to the Lord for all the Good he has done for me -
Isaiah – I heard God’s voice – Whom shall I sent, who shall go for us?   Here I am, send me!
Paul – By the grace of God, I am what I am, and his grace toward me has not been in vain.
Peter – Do not be afraid, from now on you will be catching people – and off he went!


Years ago my family was at Ortley Beach – told sisters I am going to take a walk  – looked back and there was my little nephew Kevin  – walking in my footprints – awesome responsibility -   I thought - my life would work best if I walked in the footsteps of God.    And that is humility!!!