Monday, June 22, 2015

Father's Day

Three major stories this week;
Pope’s Encyclical on the Environment, terrible shooting in Charleston, Father’s Day
A brief reflection on each:
1) First Encyclical – 180 pages long, we are going to need time to read it.
Dan Burke CNN – Ten Commandments On Climate Change
1)    Be humble – We are not the center of the universe – not in control
2)    Think of future generations.
3)    Embrace alternate energy sources
4)    Consider pollution’s effect on the poor/
5)    Take the bus or train
6)    Don’t be a slave to your phone
7)    Do not trade on line relationships for real ones.
8)    Turn off lights – recycle – don’t waste food.
9)    Educate ourselves.
10)                      Believe you can make a difference.

2)    Charleston – A terrible crime – there is no place for hate!!!!
Today the nation witnessed one of the most extraordinary scenes ever in an American courtroom.
Families of the nine people gunned down during a Bible study in Charleston, South Carolina faced the alleged killer and told him about the precious lives that were wrenched away from them.
And many in these deeply religious families forgave him, because that is what their religion teaches.
Ethel Lance, 70, left five children, seven grandchildren and four great-grandchildren behind. A daughter spoke for the family.
"I will never be able to hold her again. But I forgive you and have mercy on your soul," she said. "It hurts me, it hurts a lot of people, but God forgive you and I forgive you."
Rev. DePayne Middleton-Doctor, 49, was a mother of four. A sister spoke for the family.
"We have no room for hate. We have to forgive. I pray God on your soul. And I also thank God that I won't be around when your judgment day comes with him," she said.
3)    Father’s Day – a day to remember how important you are to us!!!
We need you to love your wives!  We need you to turn your hearts toward your children – not just money & material things but your time!
We pray you open your hearts to Christ – my best memory of my dad when I was young was having him kneel down next to our beds to say our bedtime prayers with us.

For all of us dads, grandfather’s, god fathers, foster fathers – who have been called to be role models.
Story about my nephew Kevin – now entering senior year in college. When he was a little guy – we were at the beach.  I decided to take a walk – a heard my sister’s voice – Michael, look – there was Kevin following me – but not just following me – he was walking in my footprints-

What a powerful moment – may we lead our children in the right path!!!