Sunday, May 10, 2015

FROM FATHER MICHAEL – A THREE MONTH STUDY SABBATICAL


Priests of the Archdiocese of New York are offered the possibility of a Sabbatical once during their years of priestly ministry. The purpose of a Sabbatical is to be renewed in all aspects of life and ministry. Cardinal Dolan has offered and I have been accepted for a Sabbatical this Fall. It begins on September 1 and ends on December 1. During that time, Father Chris most likely will serve as Temporary Administrator. Please trust that His Eminence will make sure the parish is properly cared for while I am away.
Here is my Sabbatical Program as approved by Cardinal Dolan:
September – Institute For Continuing Theological Education at the North American College, Rome. Includes a Retreat preached by Father Raniero Cantalamessa, Preacher to the Papal Household and a “Study of Christian Art and Architecture” with visits to many churches in Rome and Assisi.
October – Walking as a Pilgrim on the Camino de Santiago in Spain (French Route about 150 Km). This will be followed by one week of service as Confessor at the Sanctuaire Notre-Dame de Lourdes in France. I will be hearing confessions for five hours each day and offering Masses in English for Pilgrims.
November – Back to the Institute For Continuing Theological Education at the North American College, Rome. The theme is “Evangelizing Today’s World – Skills for Priestly Ministry” It will include a study of Pauline Scriptures “Walking in the Footsteps of St. Paul” and time in Malta.

Certainly this is a “once in a lifetime” moment for me. I am a bit nervous for I have never been away from the USA for so long!  But I believe this experience will certainly enhance my priestly ministry among you. Please pray for me, and know that I will carry you with me in prayer to all these sacred places.