Sunday, October 12, 2014

About Divorce and Receiving Holy Communion

Deacon Greg Kandra recently posted this:

With all the talk lately about divorce and communion, I’ve been reminded of how much we Catholics don’t know what we don’t know.
A few months ago, I met with a woman from my parish to help her begin the annulment process. We chatted a bit before we started going over what was involved.
“So,” I began, “you’re already divorced?”
“Yes.”
“And you and your ex-husband were married by a Catholic priest?”
“Yes.”
“Have you remarried?”
“No.” She looked away, shifted in her seat. “I’m really not interested in getting married again.”
This surprised me. “Well, if you haven’t remarried and you aren’t going to get married…why do you want an annulment?”
She looked at me intently.  “For communion, of course. I want to be able to receive communion again. I go to Mass and just stay in the pew. I feel so left out. I really miss it.”
I didn’t quite know what to say. I was stunned.
“But,” I began, “you should know something.” I cleared my throat. “If you’re just divorced, and if you haven’t remarried, you can receive communion. You don’t need an annulment for that.”
She was shocked.
“Really?”
“Yeah. Honestly, if you’re simply concerned about receiving the sacraments, in your situation, you really don’t need to go through this process.”
She looked like an impossible weight had been lifted from her shoulders. She beamed.
“I had no idea. I thought because I was divorced, I couldn’t receive.”
We chatted for a few more minutes and then she left.
I’ve had conversations like that a couple of times since then, in person or by email, and it’s heartbreaking. I think of all the years too many people spend feeling deprived, isolated, cut off—hungry to be fed with the bread of life. It doesn’t have to be this way. Many people simply don’t know.
Let me state this plainly: if you are divorced but have not remarried, and have no mortal sins to confess, you can receive communion.  Simply being divorced does not bar you from the Eucharist. 
If you have any further doubts, talk to a priest. Explain your situation. Go to confession. Don’t put it off.


Read more: http://www.patheos.com/blogs/deaconsbench/2014/10/what-many-catholics-dont-know-about-divorce-and-receiving-communion/#ixzz3FwKYFgb5