Sunday, October 12, 2014

28th Sunday Year A - So What's Our Excuse?

Suppose you are having a wedding. You draw up a guest list. Then you send invitations with RSVP on them. Then you wait.
Three kinds of responses
1)      Acceptance – Some enthusiastically come. They are honored and grateful. Others are coming because they feel obligated
2)      Some Refuse. They do have a prior engagement. But some just can’t be bothered.
3)      Do not respond at all. Problem – how do you plan? Are they coming or not?
I think you understand, this is just not any wedding – God is inviting us!  God does not force us – He respects our freedom.  But He wants us to share in his joy!
So, what is our excuse?
There is a letter I should write, but       I know I need to pray, but       I know I should be more charitable toward X, but        I know that dishonesty is wrong, but      I know I am not working at my job as I should, but       I know I am drinking too much, but      I know I should spend more time with my kids, but
There are no shortage of excuses. Some of them are good ones.   But
Does God know what is best for us?  What is he calling us to?  Does he invite us to a deeper and more authentic life? A closer relationship with him? Into community with others?  Into eternal life?
Once was a letter to the editor:  “I quit going to church this year. I decided that listening to sermons week after week was a stupid thing to do. After all, I went to church for 40 years and during that time I probably heard 5,000 sermons. I can only remember about 5. What a waste of time!”
The next week “I quit eating this year. I decided that eating week after week was a stupid thing to do. After all I have been eating about 40 years and have probably had over 5,000 meals. I can only remember about 5 of them. What a waste of time.

So, what is our excuse?