Sunday, September 1, 2019

Humility


A year ago, Msgr Thompson was just returning from a golf vacation. Everything seemed just fine. Soon after, he left for Chicago and then California. When he returned home the end of September, everything was no longer fine. By January, we had to place him in the priest retirement home. Now, one year later, he needs 24-hour care. He needs to be fed, bathed and clothed. It has been very difficult to watch this wonderful priest suffer in this way.
He is now the third priest I’ve cared for – first Father Jerry Bliss, then Msgr Bernard Corrigan. In some ways it is the most difficult – because most of his memory is gone. Every two weeks I sit with him, spend time with him, pay his bills and make sure his needs are addressed. But he has no idea what I am doing. I’m not even sure he knows at times who I am.
But he is a brother priest – and his condition makes him no less beautiful. I am reminded of today’s gospel – when you hold a lunch or dinner – do not invite friends or relatives or neighbors – they might invite you back and give you repayment. Rather, invite the poor, the crippled- blessed will you be because of their inability to repay you!  You will be repaid at the resurrection of the righteous.
So many of you are involved with the care of another person with little or no thanks – keep these words of Jesus in mind – and may God give us the grace to keep going!
This experience has been a great lesson in humility – seemingly at one moment in good health – then the next moment?
Last week my sisters and I were up at Schroon Lake. It is our one time to be together each year. In the evening we would sit at the lake – build a fire so they could have their smores – and then we watch the sky. Magnificent to see the Milky Way again. I started to pick off constellations – but there were so many I did not know. Universe is so vast – how little I know. It teaches humility:
Bernard of Clairvaux said the greatest virtue is humility – humility – humility.
Catherine of Siena – remember – I am God and you are not. How insignificant I am. Moses before the burning bush – Peter: depart from me I am a sinful man – Centurion – Lord I am not worthy.
But humility does not mean putting oneself down – but rather remembering who we are.
We are – his children - he calls us and invites us here – to his banquet – to His place of honor - to share in the Eucharist – his very presence. We hold in our hand or on the tongue the very presence of the one who created the moon, the sun and the stars – who created us. It is an awesome thing to be invited to the banquet of the Lord. Humility is the first step!