Sunday, April 28, 2019

The Unveiling


Last summer, I led a group of pilgrims to Greece and Turkey. We wanted to visit places associated with both St. Paul & St. John.
Ephesus in Turkey – where he preached, where he had a house to take care of Mary – Woman, behold your Son. Son behold your Mother – we offered Mass there - and where he is buried.
Island of Patmos – back in the time of John it was a Roman Penal colony where prisoners were sent. He was sent because he was teaching about Jesus. We drove up the hill overlooking the harbor and went into the “Cave of the Apocalypse” - the very place where John wrote – the Book of the Apocalypse – sounds like the end of the world – but means “unveiling” Revelation.
John heard a voice and saw 7 gold lampstands – Holy of Holies in Jerusalem – place of encounter with God.
Then he saw - One like a son of Man – an ankle length robe – gold sash – and John fell down. He knew who it was!!! John said - He touched me – Jesus said - Do not be afraid. I am the first and the last, the one who lives. Once I was dead, but now I am alive forever and ever! Another Resurrection appearance!
If John looked closer – he would have seen the holes – the wounds. He will mention them later – “the Lamb standing as though it had been slain.” Thomas was looking for them. “Unless I see the mark of the nails in his hands and put my finger into the nail marks and put my hand into His side, I will not believe.”
He saw and said – “My Lord and My God!”
The Bible is clear – the same body, but now bearing the wounds. Both St. Thomas Aquinas and St. Augustine agree – the wounds have never been removed.   Why would he continue to bear the wounds?
First – to show it was really him! This is how much He loves us!
Second, to remind us – this is the cost of following him. We all bear the wounds, don’t we? We are all wounded in some way – some wounds self-inflicted – some inflicted by others – the wounds of love – of caring – of service – of sickness – of pain – we all have them. And – having His own wounds - he understands!
It would have been an easy reaction – you all abandoned me – yet he was filled with mercy for Thomas and all of them. He walks in and says – Shalom – peace! – Divine Mercy!
Divine Mercy – ABC
Ask – Jesus, remember me – Father, forgive them. Forgiveness is always there, especially in the Sacrament of Confession
Be Merciful – If you are a follower – let’s see your hands – your feet – your heart!
Completely Trust – Do not be afraid. I am the first and the last, the one who lives. Once I was dead, but now I am alive forever and ever! And remember, I will be with you always, even unto the end of the world!