Monday, October 16, 2017

An Invitation

Once Winston Churchill received an invitation from George Bernard Shaw to one of his opening plays back in the early 1900s. The note read, "Enclosed are two tickets to the performance of a play of mine. Bring a friend - if you have one." Churchill sent back this reply: "Dear GBS, I thank you very much for the invitation and tickets. Unfortunately, I am engaged on that night, but could I have tickets for the second night? - if there is one."
The king has sent invitations – come to the wedding banquet – the king! And yet - some say no – how do you say no to the king? – but some do.
There are reasons:
-       Just too busy. God gets crowded out. Sunday is sleep in day or football day. If there is a soccer game on Sunday morning, soccer will most often win. Dad = put God first.
-       I am not good enough – I don’t belong – I still have doubts – I am a sinner. Of course, we are not worthy – but the king wants us – He gave His life for us!
-       I’m good enough. I don’t need it. I’m better than most of those people at church. It’s not how good we are compared to others, but compared to God?
-       Too many hypocrites. Mozart is no less a composer when someone plays his music less than perfectly. It’s not Mozart, it’s us. And so is God. We are not here because we are perfect. It is because we need God.
What’s happening more and more – people are ignoring the invitation. Reminded – after President Trump was elected – not my President – not my God – or – there is no God.
— “Because I grew up realized it was a story like a fairy tale.” Based on true, historical evidence. Discover the truth about God and Christianity.
— “As I learn more about the world around me and understand things that I once did not, I find that the thought of an all-powerful being to be less and less believable.”  Where did we come from? Where did universe come from – scientists more and more believe universe had a beginning – what or who brought it into existence???
— “I realized that religion is in complete contradiction with the rational and scientific world, and to continue to subscribe to a religion would be hypocritical.”  I will not follow a faith that is not rational. It has to make sense – and not all knowledge is scientific. There are other ways of knowing.
A small boy was consistently late coming home from school. His parents warned him one day that he must be home on time that afternoon, but nevertheless, he arrived later than ever. His mother met him at the door and said nothing. His father met him in the living room and said nothing.

At dinner that night, the boy looked at his plate. There was a slice of bread and a glass of water. He looked at his father's full plate and then at his father, but his father remained silent. The boy was crushed. The father waited for the full impact to sink in, then quietly took the boy's plate and placed it in front of himself. He took his own plate of meat and potatoes, put it in front of the boy, and smiled at his son. When that boy grew up, he said, "All my life I've known what God is like by what my father did that night." Come to the wedding feast!