Today marks the 100th Anniversary of Mary’s Appearance to the children in Fatima. Pope Francis traveled to Fatima this weekend to offer Mass and to canonize two of the shepherd children – Francesco and Jacinta. First time in our church history that children who were not martyrs were declared saints. St Francisco & St. Jacinta, pray for us!
Mary appeared beginning today and on the 13th of each month for 5 months – until October 13, 1917. On that day, 70,000 traveled to Fatima, including the aunt and uncle of Bishop Dominick. It had rained all morning. The people were wet and the roads and fields were filled with mud. But then came our Lady, revealed as Our Lady of the Rosary. And then came the Miracle of the Sun. The sun danced in the sky. Their clothes were completely dry and the mud was gone! Bishop and his family were very affected by the miracle – a reminder is found in the back of our church – placed by Bishop Dominick!
The children were given 3 secrets:
- First was a vision of hell which foretold of the coming of WWII. They were encouraged to pray, especially the Rosary. O My Jesus, forgive us our sins, save us from the fires of hell. Lead all souls to heaven, especially those most in need of Thy mercy.
- Second had to do with the rise and fall of communism, and devotion to the Immaculate Heart of Mary.
- Third was written down and sealed – looked at by John 23 and Paul 6. On this exact day May 13, 1981, Pope John Paul 2 was shot 4 times. He lost 75% of his blood, but her survived. He asked to see the third secret – “Bishop dressed in white shot by bullets.” Was asked by his assassin Ali Agca – “Why aren’t you dead?” Pope – “A mother’s hand guided the bullets path.” On May 13, 1982, John Paul II went to Fatima and offered one of the bullets to Our Lady. It has been placed in her crown.
I have been to Fatima – it truly is a special place. I offered Mass at Cova da Iria – Vale of Peace. Jesus said – do not let your hearts be troubled. You have faith in God, have faith in me!
- Peace is not only possible, it is inevitable. You will make it happen. Give everything over to my Immaculate Heart.
- Nothing that hurts you, no sacrifice, no war, no fear can stand up to the peace my Son offers. The way to that peace is through the Cross, which is a key to all there is, a path to walk with me. It is not – it is never – too late.
- Sin hurts but sinners can be bathed in mercy. Wars happen but they will not be the last act. You can drive God out of the country, but my image will stand in Red Square.”
On this Mother’s Day when we thank God for our moms, grandmothers, godmothers and foster mothers – we are reminded by Pope Francis – We have a another Mother – Mary, the Mother of Jesus - Cling to her. Holy Mary Mother of God. . . .