Wednesday, December 7, 2016

John The Baptist

Doing Christmas shopping – saw Santa, Frosty & Baby Jesus – no JB!
On the way to Bethlehem – we must cross the Jordan River.
This is where we meet that unusual figure – John the Baptist
Most consider him the last and greatest of the OT prophets.
Jesus took him very seriously “among those born of women none greater than JB”
Church celebrates 3 birthdays
-          Jesus – Dec 25           Mary – Sept 8      JB – June 24

He spent a great deal of time in desert – why? - no distractions – so he can listen to God.  Every now and then – put aside phone, turn off TV -just be with God
Here is fruit of his desert time:

1)      He learned about Humility
“I am not worthy to untie his sandals” & “he must increase and I must decrease.”
Humility – this is not putting oneself down.
Realize – in certain areas of life – things happen that I cannot control  -  I am not in control! Talk with nephew Kevin – you are praying for my Mom, right? My sister is cancer free but will be on medication for 5 years – but you are still praying, right?     I Need a Savior.   I need Eucharist  -  I need prayer  -   I need God!

2)      He learned about Repentance
I visited 2nd grade this week. Students pointed out to me: Elf on the shelf – a scout sent by Santa from the North Pole – helps Santa manage his naughty and nice list – goes to NP each night to make his report about what you were doing.
A tough one – I would not stand a chance  -  see: Baptist knows I will sin, but I also can be forgiven – Baptist: turn back to God!
Nothing like a good confession!!!  Reconciliation Monday Dec 19 from 4-8

3) He learned about Integrity
He was a person of principle & conviction – told the truth with love.
Soldiers – nonbelievers – do not practice extortion, do not accuse anyone falsely.
Tax collectors - believers but not practicing – stop collecting more than prescribed
Faithful ones – whoever has 2 cloaks should share with the person who has none. Whoever has food should do likewise. Not afraid to witness to his faith. Best way???
Walk the walk -   be the same person at church, in school, at home & work.

On our way to Bethlehem – need to stop at the Jordan River.
John will be waiting for us
To teach us about humility -  repentance  -  integrity.

To help us prepare the way for the Lord.