Monday, June 27, 2016

Come and Follow Me

A person in charge of a lighthouse along a dangerous coast was given enough oil for one month and told to keep the light burning every night. One day a woman asked for oil so that her children could stay warm. Then a farmer came. His son needed oil for a lamp so he could read. Another needed some for an engine. The guard saw each as a worthy request and gave some oil to satisfy all. By the end of the month, the tank in the lighthouse was dry. That night the beacon was dark and three ships crashed on the rocks. More than one hundred lives were lost. An inquiry was held. The lighthouse attendant explained what he had done and why. But the prosecutor replied, "You were given only one task: to keep the light burning. Every other thing was secondary. You have no excuse."

They were hard decisions.   To follow Christ means to make some hard decisions. It is not an easy road!

Person approaches Jesus – “I will follow you wherever you go” – Foxes have dens, birds of the sky have nests, Son of Man has nowhere to lay his head.   Rome has occupied Israel and they lord it over them – more and more our government challenges our beliefs – so, do we give in? Go along? St. Thomas More – “I am the king’s good servant, but God’s first.”

Jesus calls another “follow me” – Let me go and bury my father first.   Who could be against burying father?   Points to excuses.  There is always an excuse!   Ask ourselves – will this action lead me to heaven or away from heaven?

I will follow, but (conditions) “first let me say farewell to those at home”   Conditions – what is in it for me?  What am I getting out of this? 

It is not a simple thing to be a disciple!!!
We have chosen the Cross and yet we look back at the easy road we have left behind. We miss lazy Sunday mornings, numerous relationships, gossip, or a career uncomplicated by ethics.

A League of their Own    “There’s no crying in baseball”
Dottie want to quit  packing   husband at war  -  tension with sister  -  grind on the road
It’s too hard  -    Manager: It’s supposed to be hard  -  that is what makes it great!


So remember the Yoke? My yoke is easy & my burden is light?  The yoke of Christ is a double yoke. He walks alongside us as we move toward His promise of joy, love and the peace which surpasses all understanding.