Monday, March 7, 2016

The Mercy of the Father

In his short story “Capital of the World” Hemingway writes about a Spanish father who wants to reconcile with his son, Paco. He places an ad in the newspaper:
“Paco, meet me at the Hotel Montana at noon on Tuesday. All is forgiven. Love, Papa.”  Well, Paco is a very common name.  When Papa arrives at noon on Tuesday, there are 800 Pacos waiting for him.   The power of forgiveness!

One would not expect the father in our story to be in a forgiving mood.  His son has asked for his share of the inheritance. Normally, the parent would have to be dead!  But the father grants him his wish, and the son goes through everything in short order.

The son comes to his senses, and simply hopes to be hired back as a slave. One might expect the father to refuse to even see him – but no, the father is waiting for him!  My brother worked the 44 in the Bronx for 5 years. My mother would always – always – wait up for him, looking for him to come home.

The father runs out to him and embraces him.  The cloak, the ring and the sandals are all signs that he is welcome, that he is forgiven.

The mercy of the father!

Can you picture the priest sitting there, waiting for you in the Sacrament of Reconciliation?  He want to extend to you the very same mercy!

You might say – why the priest? Can’t I just tell my sins to God and be forgiven? Or course!  But sin has two dimensions.  Picture a cross.   Up and down.  I and the Father.  But it also goes across.  Sin affects others, the community, the church. The mystical Body of Christ.   By seeking forgiveness in the Sacrament – I am reconciled to God and to the Body of Christ.   Back in Communion.   Can receive Communion.

Plus – I know without any doubt:  I am forgiven. I am loved.  I am a child of God.


So – we will be waiting – every Saturday, and most especially Reconciliation Monday.   Come and experience what the Prodigal Son did – the Mercy of the Father!!!