Sunday, March 1, 2015

Transfiguration - "Listen To Him"

Anna White was a Parishioner of St. Julian’s Church in Chicago. When she reached 106th birthday she was asked by a reporter - what is her secret?
She said: “There is no secret. I live by my rules. When I go to sleep, I tell God my problems. He tells me what to do. I keep waking up – so I guess God’s happy with how I’m listening to Him.”     How I’m listening to him!

Today’s Readings are a Tale of Two Mountains - Mount Moriah    &   Mount Tabor
In the Bible – Mountains are mysterious places of encounter with God.

1) Mt. Moriah    -  Where is it?  Jerusalem at the site of  the Western Wall & Dome of Rock              Recall --  First covenant was made with Abraham – our Father in Faith
Promise of covenant shown in birth of Issac in their old age 75 years old
Sarah laughed – called him Yitzhak = Issac = laughter
But now Abraham is called to offer  “your son Issac, your only one, whom you love” as an offering to God.    A terrible dilemma.
- If he refuses - he will turn his back on the one who promised to make him a great nation
-         If he goes through with it, this promise will also be cut off!
In this darkness - Abraham decides to “Listen To God” 

2)  - Mt. Tabor   up near the Galilee
A few days before this, Jesus asked:   --  Who do people say that I am      Elijah, John the Baptist, prophet
Who do you say that I am?     Peter – Messiah
Jesus - This Messiah must suffer, die on the cross, and rise 3 days later
Peter – this cannot be    Get behind me, Satan  - you are talking not as God does, but as people do.    (You Are Not Listening”)

6 days later Jesus takes them up Mt Tabor – he is transfigured    -  turned inside out so divinity is revealed. How He looked at Resurrection!
Father – this is my beloved son   LISTEN TO HIM!!!
There will be darkness  – crucifixion!   – but there will be light 

Get on a plane – go through safety routine – do you listen?  Except for this flight – we may have a problem with the landing gear – lets go through what can happen – everyone is listening now.   Why listen – best interests at heart –- want to save us -  doesn’t Jesus?!

Try Listening to the One who can save our lives and our souls!

Anna White was asked – what is your secret?  It’s no secret – I listen to God!