Thursday, January 1, 2015

Seven Up's For a New Year

Mary, the Mother of God?     Because God took flesh, we can call her mother.
Fitting on January 1 –because Mary gave birth to Jesus, new life begins and a new hope!!!
New beginning often shown in New Year’s Resolutions:
The late Erma Bombeck made some memorable resolutions over the years:
1. I will go to no doctor whose office plants have died.
2. I’m going to follow my husband’s suggestion to put a little excitement into my life by living within our budget.
3. I will never loan my car to anyone I have given birth to.
Ed McManus has some words of comfort for those of us who are setting resolutions: “Don’t worry about [keeping] those 2015 News Year’s resolutions,” he says. “You only have to deal with them until the end of February and then you can give them up for Lent.”
I like a list of resolutions prepared by the Rev. Walter Schoedel. He calls them ‘7-UPS for the New Year.’ No, this has nothing to do with the soft drink. These 7-UPS fall under the heading of attitudes and actions.

The first is WAKE UP--Begin the day with the Lord. Each day is a gift. Rejoice in it.

The second is DRESS-UP--Put on a smile. It improves our looks. It says something about our attitude.

The third is SHUT-UP--Watch your tongue. Don't gossip. Say nice things. Learn to listen.

The fourth is STAND-UP--Take a stand for what we believe. Resist evil. Do good!

Five, LOOK-UP--Open our eyes to the Lord. See the beauty of what God has created!

Six, REACH-UP--Spend time in prayer with your praises, petitions, thanksgivings and contrition to the Lord.

And finally, LIFT-UP--Be available to help those in need--serving, supporting, and sharing.

Not a bad list!!!

They answer the Question: how do I want to invest my time, energy, money, and talents in this New Year? The New Year reminds us that time is passing. Every moment is a gift!

Have a Happy New Year!