Sunday, May 11, 2014

Good Shepherd Sunday - Mother's Day - Day of Prayer for Vocations

Retreat – Good time to pray - Marriage, Priesthood.

Thinking of so many others  – single life – divorced – single parent – adult child caring for parent – working at difficult job – widow – widower – caring for mentally challenged person

 Turn to Good Shepherd –    Key is John the Baptist – Look – behold – the Lamb of God -   the shepherd becomes one of the sheep – he shares in what the sheep are going through.

 Psalm 23 - The Lord is my Shepherd – I shall not want – in verdant pastures He gives me repose – beside restful waters he leads me – he refreshes my soul  -  he guides me in right paths -  even though I walk in the dark valley, I fear no evil – for you are at my side!!!

 Need for Good Shepherds:
Class of 2014  -  477 to be ordained this year

Average age – 34
80% between  25 – 39
2/3  white   15% Hispanic   11% Asian
30% born outside USA
1/3 have relative who is a priest/religious
½ attended Catholic schools
Began to think of priesthood about the age of 16

 70% encouraged by priest
45% by friend
43% by parishioners
38% by mothers
½  did experience discouragement – mostly by friends  only 10% by parents (change)

Mother – really not sure – felt I was too young – did not know what I was getting into – she, of course was right.  Just wanted the best, like any Mom.  What I wanted – what God wanted for me – she supported all the way!

Began like a honeymoon – but - After a couple of years – think I made a mistake – too hard -   she said “ You took a sacrament:”  You made a promise & God made a promise to you. Do you think your father and I have had it easy?   Faithfulness!!!

 My first Trappist Funeral – Father Edward - 64 years a Trappist  -  So – no matter what the vocation -  be faithful - be the best that you can be, and remember – even if we walk through the valley of death – the Good Shepherd will be by our side!!!