Sunday, February 8, 2015

"Why?" - God's Answer Is Jesus

It is a very familiar train.
If you live in Chappaqua, it is the best way to NYC.
Just a typical work day, but now 6 people are dead.
In one way you can understand it. Bad things happen when you stop a car on railroad tracks.
But what about the other five?– just coming home from work – but they never reached home.

Why? –Why is there pain & suffering?  an age old question.
Book of Job:  Sometimes life is such a burden – days drag on with work & worry & illness. Or night comes, and you just can’t sleep – too much to think about.
Some would use suffering as an argument against God
– because if God is all good, all powerful or all knowing, how can this be?

The book of Job tries to wrestle with this question.
Job’s friends suggest that he suffers because he deserves it.
Job will have no part of that.
He is God fearing and righteous and does not deserve to suffer as he does.
He has lost everything:  children, servants, possessions.
Yet he will not curse God or let go of God. – but he will complain and who can blame him???
The answer of the book of Job: Someone reads 1 page from a book – how can you possibly understand the whole book? How can we begin to understand the ways of God?

Some things we do know –
-         In order to have free will one must have the possibility of suffering. Many will misuse this gift. Much suffering caused by human beings. Even with cancers – what’s in our food or the air we breathe?
-         Many of us have experienced suffering as a way to grow morally and spiritually. Any compassion I have is connected with my own suffering.
-         Suffering binds us to one another.

What is God’s answer???
Many of us would say: God’s  answer is Jesus

1)    After the Last Supper – he went to the Mount of Olives to pray.
This time – he did not want to be alone. Many times he moved away. This time he asked Peter, James and John to stay close by.
A request for solidarity at the moment he felt the approach of death. We need each other!

2)    He said “I am deeply grieved, even to death; remain here and keep awake”
Shows how he felt fear and anguish. He understands all the horror a person feels at the prospect of death.

3)    He now moves away and throws himself on the ground – a position of prayer –
Invitation for us to pray – to place before God all that we are going through.
 “that he may give us hope, make us aware of his closeness and give us light.”

4)    “Abba, Father, for you all things are possible: remove this cup from me, yet, not what I want but what you want.”
Our Father – Your will be done
God has a will for us and with us. Each day try to hand over to Him.
Must learn to have greater trust in His love. Repeat this yes every day. This is not easy to do! A prayer to repeat every day.

I Asked God . . .


I asked God for strength that I might achieve.
I was made weak that I might learn humbly to obey.
I asked for health that I might do greater things.
I was given infirmity that I might do better things.
I asked for riches that I might be happy.
I was given poverty that I might be wise.
I asked for power that I might have the praise of men.
I was given weakness that I might feel the need of God.
I asked for all things that I might enjoy life.
I was given life that I might enjoy all things.
I got nothing that I asked for, but everything I hoped for.
Almost despite myself, my unspoken prayers were answered.
I am, among all men, most richly blessed.
The Prayer of an Unknown Confederate Soldier


NOTE - The Reflection on "Gethsemene" inspired by Pope Emeritus Benedict from a Wednesday Audience.  Also helpful - Msgr. Robert Barron reflections on Job.